January 14, 2010

Mom of the year.....

I was organizing (New Years Resolution) the closet in my bedroom.  Pickle was playing around in the bedroom.  I heard a bottle of what sounded like vitamins tipping over.  By the time I turned the corner Pickle had a mouthful of pills in her mouth.  I SCREAMED bloody murder which totally freaked out Pickle.  This was a good thing because she then SCREAMED and the pills went flying out of her mouth.  I instantly counted the pills on the floor to find there were only 7 left.  I assumed she swallowed around 10 pills.  Big D was nowhere to find so, I instantly called my friend (Elle) who lives 3 houses down to see if she could come down and stay with Peanut so I could take Pickle to the ER.  I was still sobbing and so was Pickle.  Elle has this amazing way of staying calm, even in the midst of a major emergency.  Once her daughter got bit by a really really big dog at my house (that I was watching).  As I was freaking out, she stayed calm.  I don't know how she does it?  I suppose having 4 kids might help her a bit, or maybe being a OB nurse for years helps, anyhoo who knows how she has this gift of staying calm??  Through my sobbing I say "can you come down and watch Peanut? Pickle just swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills."  Elle says "what kind?"  I answer "homeopathic ones, sniff sniff."  Elle says "did you call poison control??"  I answer "who?"  Elle says "call poison control and call me back."  Okay, poison control NEVER came to mind.

I call poison control and they said I have nothing to worry about and that I was really lucky that they are non-toxic.  THANK GOD!

I felt horrible!  I felt like the worst mother in the world!  I felt like I failed.  Then I was reassured by all of my wonderful friends that yes, indeed I'm a great mom.  And that it could have happened to anyone.

And for the record........Pickle was hyped up all night long.  It was like she ate a gallon of sugar.  I guess they are mental.........
 

1 comment:

  1. You ARE a good mama! :) I'm glad everything worked out just fine- that's part of being a parent (even though I'm not one yet..) kids get into things and break bones, swallow things, flood toilets ;) William was all excited that you take Calms Forte too! Haha! I don't take it myself and I won't dare tell him it's mental- but I knew he was a faker!

    ReplyDelete