Once upon a time there was a highly motivated, driven, successful young woman. She was eager, strong, motivating and had her career in the palm of her hand. She was highly influential and was well known throughout the entire company (and it was a HUGE well known company). She liked the attention, she fed off of the power, responsibility and position. She let nothing stand in her way and she didn't care who liked her. She was there to do her job and she did it well. She exceeded goal after goal. She reached for the stars and was flown to NYC to spend a week being wined and dined with corporate. She stayed at the famous Plaza in Manhattan, had dinner at Terrace on the Green with the big wigs of the company. She sat at the presidents desk with a view of central park, and was asked her opinions, thoughts and feelings about the company . She was offered a regional promotion in another city that she passed up for love. She stayed put and waited for a promotion close to home. She was offered two paths...one path left her old city behind...the other was close to home. She followed her heart but it was the wrong heart...she picked close to home with wrong company...she left her old career behind (the one closest to her heart). She missed her opportunity to climb the corporate ladder. She would have made it. Instead she picked the wrong company. The position she passed up for love would have taken her to a corporate position in NYC. The love quickly fizzled and died. She was disappointed she picked love over her career. She thought she missed her opportunity. Little did she know that she was going to fall in love again. She picked "love" but she didn't know that it wasn't to him...it was to someone she hadn't met yet. She didn't realize that all her decisions to stay was for someone else. If she left for the promotion she would be highly successful.....BUT.....she wouldn't have met her best friend/soul mate. She wouldn't be married to the man she is married to today. And most importantly...money couldn't have bought a little Pickle and little Peanut.
Sometimes I miss my old career. I look back and wonder where I could have gone. My path went a different direction. I laugh when I think about that crazy goal oriented successful young woman. But the good thing is, I can say I loved what I did. I was good at what I did. "I've been there and I've done that." I can go back one day. But what I know today is there is no place like home with my husband, kids and family and that is worth all the money in the world.
I love this story. My heart is very thankful that you found your soulmate....careers are wonderful...but never as fulfilling as being where your heart is full and where you feel the most connected. Never look back. You are the mother of two extraordinary children and an amazing wife. Two of the most amazing jobs out there.
ReplyDelete