We just got home from spending 10 days plus one day (beyond our control) in Pensacola, Florida. Pensacola, Florida is right on the boarder of Alabama. I think the total population of the area is around 56,000 people. Where we live the population is around 200,000 and we think that is small. Anyway, the area was wiped out by hurricane Ivan in 2005. It's still being rebuilt and put back together. The beaches are white, pristine, desolate, absolutely beautiful! It is the most beautiful sand I have ever seen. The water isn't as beautiful as Hawaii but the actual beach is breathtaking. White and as fine as salt.
It's definitely in the south and much more southern then I ever experienced in Texas. Just a different kinda south I guess. Big D hasn't spent much time in the South nor at a beach. It was a little bit of a shell shock to him. Growing up I spent a lot of time in the Gulf with my dad so, I was very familiar to the beach. I can lay on the beach for hours soaking up the sun. But Big D on the other hand was over the beach by hour one. At one point he asked me "what do you do on the beach?" My response was "sit back and relax, take in the sun and fresh air." He was dying from the heat and humidity.
Pickle and Peanut were terrified of the waves. Peanut couldn't eat enough sand and Pickle being as particular as she is was a little annoyed at it sticking to her. Each day we would go through the same things with both kids in tears and holding on to us for dear life.
That was until we discovered the bay on the boarder of AL. It was calm and we had a blast playing in the water until we realized it was infested with jellyfish ( I actually got mildly stung....OUCH). Anyway, we wish we discovered the bay sooner.
Big Mama was so happy having us visit. She cooked our favorite sticky rice and salty meat to take to the beach everyday.
What we realized was....we aren't big beach people, I know hard to understand. We actually enjoy a little more active vacations. Our favorite vacation spot still remains Switzerland and Italy! Sorry Mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment